Summary of proposal P1053
- Eight business sectors that handle PHF or RTE processed perishable food: including caterers, food service restaurants, cafes, bakeries, fast food,retailers of PHF or RTE food, including delicatessens, RTE seafood.
- 2/3rds of food borne illness in Australia have been linked to these 8 business sectors.
- 3 management tools proposed
1. Food safety training for all food handlers
2. Certified Food Safety Supervisor ( FSS)
3. Evidence of food safety controls -records
- Proposed that ALL food handlers to complete food handler training (to demonstrate skills and knowledge requirements in standard 3.2.2. Cl 3)
[Consider how these businesses will achieve this base level of information in a training initiative including training resources, cost, language and literacy issues, and staff retention/ turnover challenges?]
- Proposal for ALL businesses in the 8 sectors in ALL States and Territories to have a certified Food Safety Supervisor (FSS).
[FSS is currently only required in VIC, NSW, ACT, QLD]
- Proposal that ALL businesses in the 8 sectors have records as evidence of controls.
This may include records of key activities including
- food processing (2/4hr rule)
- temperature control ( including receipt, storage. cooking, cooling, display of PHF)
- cleaning & sanitising
- calibration and maintenance of equipment
as well as sous vide and raw egg product processing.
[ Consider how all businesses will manage the keeping of such evidence of food safety controls]